Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Teen Titans #29

Whoa, it's been a while since I've been here! I gotta say, I have no idea how I used to post as much as I did all those years ago on the old blog, I mean hell, I was posting like 5 times a night, several reviews a day! Now I can barely scrape up one review a month! Ah well, I'm here now, and look, I've brought a review with me. Anyway, we continue onward with the Teen Titans reviews. This time we get Geoff Johns's take on... Red Hood. Or Jason Todd. Or my boy JT's favorite comic book character. Any of those names will work. Personally, I like Jason a lot as a character, and am terrified to see what John's does with him considering some of the things he did with other favorites of mine in this series... Well, let's check it out.

Teen Titans #29(December 2005):

Summary: Donna Troy is randomly back and asking for Cyborg to help her out on some mission she was doing. Now, considering how important Donna's death was in destroying Young Justice, and how often Johns went back to it early on in this series, you'd think we'd get a little blurb telling us how she came back, or some characters discussing it or something... Instead? Nothing at all... Before Cyborg can head off, Red Hood knocks Cyborg and Beast Boy out of commission. He then drugs Raven and heads to Robin's room. Hood attacks Robin because... From what I gather, Hood wants to test Robin? Probably? The two brawl all over Titans Tower with Hood recounting Robin's history...
So Bruce keeps tabs on potentially thousands of people who may be looking into Batman's secret identity?  That's excessive, but then again, maybe Bruce really does...

Really? We get shit on how Donna came back, but get Tim's entire frigging history?! Frigging Geoff Johns... Also, Zeus is Wonder Girl's father now because reasons. The Robin battle royal ends in the dead Titans statue room, where Hood bemoans the fact that he didn't get a statue... He kind of has a point. I mean, I don't remember him being on the team for more than a handful of issues, but still, you'd think Dick would have asked for one. After complaining, Hood beats Robin unconscious, tags the wall(“Robin #2 was here, yo!”), and leaves. With that, the Titans fawn over Timmy when they find him, and Hood wonders how his life would have been if he had friends like Robin #3 had. This issue ends with Brother Blood returning.


Thoughts: Eh, it wasn't that bad at all. I was expecting horrifyingly awful, so I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, there were a few things that were odd, such as Jason's DNA allowing him into a rebuilt Titans Tower, even though he would have still been dead when they had it rebuilt. You'd think Cyborg would have cleared out some old files from the Tower's database, but I guess not. I also don't get how Hood knew that every other Titan would be out of the way except for Tim. I know he was trained by Bats and all, but still. Speaking of odd, Jason's outfit here would fit that bill...
Those tights tho...

Oh, and the fact that Starfire and Cyborg were just outing people's real names left and right REALLY bugged me... I mean, they're talking about Jason Todd and calling Tim, “Tim” right in front of Mal and Bumblebee!
Hey everybody, let's talk in front of strangers using real names!

Also, why Mal is in this I have NO idea, other than Johns trying to show how much Titans history he knew... Mal is a character that should be forgotten, the Titans comics he was in are beyond godawful... Huh, this “Thoughts” section came out a lot more negatively than I thought it would, considering the fact that this wasn't a bad comic... I guess if nothing else, that just proves that I like to bitch for no good reason.

1 comment: